Tuesday, October 12, 2010

June Babies!

One of my favorite things about being a professional photographer is I get to make my own rules now! Up to this point in my life there has always been rules set for every photography related activity in my life! As a child, my mom made the rules "what to wear, how to do my hair, how to smile, and sit," then in high school photography class where my teacher made the rules. Being a student at OIP&T the instructors had some new rules to teach me, in the areas of lighting, how to work a camera, etc. Even at this point in my life I still followed rules in taking every picture, no matter how much I tried to not worry about the rules!
Hate to admit it but I am pretty much a rule follower!

So, knowing myself, I decided to make my own rules! Still rules but since I made the rules I am the one that can change the rules.

Since making my own rules I have noticed that I love to just make any day a photo shoot no matter the event of the day! And make any location a great location for pictures, make the space you have work! Subjects can wear whatever they would like to, something they choose!

Honestly, if pictures are to capture life's moments and remind you of times in your life - why are we making moments up? Sometimes in order to get children's pictures taken we take them to a place they have never been and never would have gone. Dress them in clothes we bought special for the photo shoot that they most likely won't wear again.

Think about it - How many times have your children found a room in a building with a painted wall and the perfect light setup on the same day that they were wearing their best outfit?Instead I like to capture images of people where they were and in whatever they were wearing. Its much more real!

With all that said, this photo shoot was taken at a family party. We just went outside and played around the house and in the yard. I think the images are fun and we all had such a great time together! Hanging out with Emily and Evan has always been a ton of fun. It has been great seeing them grow up into young people!

I was only 10 when Emily was born but I remember how tiny she was, she only weighted less than 5 pounds! As a baby she screamed constantly, she had some healthy lungs! Through the years I have seen her play all sorts of sports and do very well in school! Emily and I have a lot in common - we love to laugh, we both have hundreds of sharpie's, and we love the color lime green!

Evan is 10 years old now, I can hardly believe it! I remember when Evan was about 5 he wanted to grow up to be a pirate! Evan has the most amazing amount of knowledge and willingness to learn! He is so smart that I have had to call and ask him questions about my college level homework, twice! He has wanted to be so many things when he grows up, (pirate, vet, zoo keeper, wild life photographer) and with his imagination and willingness to learn I am sure he will be great at whatever he does!

Evan and Emily don't have many common interest! They do look alike, they have the same address, and even go to the same school & church! But there personalities and interest are so different! I love to hang out with them and look forward to seeing them again soon!



I wish I had those shoes Miss Emily! Don't worry if they come up missing
I will take good care of them! ;-) JK


I think they look so much alike in this picture!


O boys will be boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment